Home Decorating Safely

Decorating your home safely:

  • Use only non-combustible, flame retardant or flame resistant materials to decorate your home or tree.
  • Never use candles to decorate trees.
  • Keep candles away from decorations, trees and other combustible materials.
  • Keep candles in a sturdy holder away from children, pets and combustible materials. Blow them out before leaving the room or going to sleep.
  • To eliminate the risk of an open candle flame, use battery-powered candles whenever possible, especially when using candles in a decorative setting.
  • Purchase only lights and electrical decorations bearing the name of an independent testing lab (ULC or CSA, for example), and follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and maintenance.
  • Indoor lights should only be used indoors; outdoor lights should only be used outdoors.
  • Run outdoor light cords above the ground to keep them away from snow and water.
  • Carefully inspect new and previously used light strings, and replace damaged items before plugging lights in.
  • Be mindful of not damaging a cord's wire insulation when mounting lights. It is safer to use plastic clips instead of nails.
  • Keep pets and young children away from electrical decorations and light strings.
  • Locate decorations in an area that will not block or interfere with an exit, or exit route.
  • Space heaters need space - ensure at least one metre of clearance.
  • Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
  • Never place furniture, rugs or other objects over electrical cords. Any damage the cord may sustain can go unnoticed.
  • Never overload extension cords.
  • Take down all decorations and bring outdoor electrical lights inside immediately after the holidays.


You are here: Home Fire Prevention Holiday Safety Home Decorating Safely